This article is a stub. You can help The Secret Life of Pets Wiki by expanding it as well as you can.
This article contains spoilers, which means the plot or ending details follow. Read at your own risk!
The Secret Life of Pets 2 is an American computer animated comedy film produced by animation studio Illumination Entertainment. It was released theatrically by distributor Universal Studios on May 24, 2019 in the UK and June 7, 2019 in the US. Chris Renaud returns as the director and voice of Norman, while Brian Lynch returns as screenwriter. The film features the voices of Patton Oswalt (replacing Louis C.K.), Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Tiffany Haddish, Lake Bell, Nick Kroll, Dana Carvey, Hannibal Buress, Bobby Moynihan, and Harrison Ford.
Sometime after the events of the first film, Max and Duke's owner Katie marries a man named Chuck and has a child, Liam . Max at first feels uneasy by Liam's presence but eventually grows an affinity to him. As Liam grows, Max becomes stressed with the potential dangers the outdoors could have for Liam. He develops a nervous itch and gets a dog cone as treatment. Max's luck changes when Duke reveals that the family is taking a road trip outside of the city.
Before Max leaves, he entrusts his favorite toy, Busy Bee, to his girlfriend, Gidget. Unfortunately, Gidget loses Busy Bee in a apartment owned by a crazy cat lady. After training received by Chloe in "the ways of a cat", she sneaks in, is hailed as the "Queen of cats" after a staged defeat of the "red dot", and successfully retrieves Busy Bee.
When Max and Duke's family reaches a farm, Max feels unaccustomed to its ways, including the farm's tough sheepdog, Rooster. After an incident with a flock of sheep, Rooster takes Max out to find a lamb that ran away. Rooster's teaching and encouragement to Max about acting unafraid to become unafraid prompts Max to successfully retrieve the missing lamb. Rooster allows Max to stay with him overnight as a result. Before departure, Rooster gives Max one of his handkerchiefs as a souvenir.
Meanwhile, Chloe and Snowball meet Daisy, who explains that she needs "Captain Snowball", to assist her with rescuing a white tiger named Hu. While on a flight to the city, Daisy encountered him being held captive by abusive Russian circus owner Sergei. Daisy and Snowball sneak in and find Hu. With much difficulty from Sergei's black wolves, they free Hu from the circus; however, in the heat of the escape, Daisy accidentally drops her flower clip, which the wolves use to track her down.
Daisy and Snowball take Hu to Pops' Apartment. Pops reluctantly lets the tiger stay for the night, but after Hu destroys the apartment, they move him to Max's Apartment. Around this time, Max and Duke's family returns from their trip. Sergei and his wolves track Daisy down and recapture Hu. Daisy sees Sergei escaping in his train so Snowball, Max, and Norman chase the train down while contacting Gidget for assistance. She and the cats take the cat owner's car.
Snowball and Max respectively defeat Sergei's pet monkey Little Sergei and his wolves, and free Daisy and Hu. Max, using his newfound bravery, successfully infiltrates the train, where he and the rest of the animals knock Sergei off. Before the ringmaster could kill them, Gidget knocks him out with the cat lady's car and offers the animals a ride back home. Life resumes normally, with Max's family saying goodbye to Liam as he enters his first day of preschool.
In a mid-credits stinger, Snowball creates a rap troupe, whose performance lasts a few moments before his owner Molly enters the room.
- Patton Oswalt as Max, a brown and white terrier mix. Joel McHale, Jason Lee, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, David Cross, Ashton Kutcher, Sean Hayes, Jack Black, and Chris Pratt were all considered for the role of Max.
- Garth Jennings as a hamster.
- Jenny Slate as Gidget, a white Pomeranian.
- Lake Bell as Chloe, a tabby cat.
- Ellie Kemper as Katie, Max and Duke's owner.
- Kevin Hart as Snowball, a white rabbit.
- Bobby Moynihan as Mel, a pug.
- Chris Renaud as Norman, a guinea pig.
- Hannibal Buress as Buddy, a black dachshund.
- Dana Carvey as Pops, a basset hound.
- Harrison Ford as Rooster, a Welsh Sheepdog.
- Nick Kroll as Sergei, an abusive circus owner.
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Sweetpea, a budgie. Tara Strong was originally going to voice him. But she was fed up with her role and quit her The Secret Life of Pets film franchise job.
- Tiffany Haddish as Daisy, a Shih Tzu.
- Pete Holmes as Chuck, Katie's husband and Liam's father.
- Meredith Salenger as a cat lady.
- Henry Lynch as Liam, Katie and Chuck's son.
- Sean Giambrone as Cotton, a young lamb who Max and Rooster save from a cliff.
- Michael Beattie as Lead Wolf, the leader of Sergei's trained wolves.
- Beattie also voices a thin cat.
- Eric Stonestreet as Duke, a large brown mutt.
- Kiely Renaud as Molly, Snowball's owner.
- Fred Tatasciore as a Big Fat Cat.
Production & Release
On August 12, 2016, Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment announced a sequel to The Secret Life of Pets with director and screenwriter Chris Renaud and Brian Lynch returning to helm the project. Studio founder Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy would produce the sequel. Matthew Inman, creator of humor website The Oatmeal, worked on the film as a creative consultant. In November 10, 2017, it was announced that Louis C.K. was dropped from his role as Max after admitting to sexual misconduct with numerous women. In April 2018, it was announced that Patton Oswalt would voice Max while Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Lake Bell, Dana Carvey, Hannibal Buress, and Bobby Moynihan would reprise their roles. Cast newcomers included Tiffany Haddish, Harrison Ford, Nick Kroll, and Pete Holmes.
- The film was originally set to be released on July 13, 2018,, it was then planned to be released on July 3, 2019 , but was pushed back to June 7, 2019. This movie currently had the most changes in dates.
- The Secret Life of Pets will be the second Illumination Entertainment film to become a franchise, following Despicable Me. Sing will be the third.
- The Secret Life of Pets 2 will be the second Illumination Entertainment film to be released in June, after Despicable Me 3.
- Patton Oswalt (Max) and Meredith Salenger (crazy cat lady) are married.
- This is the first Illumination film to be produced in 1.85:1 aspect ratio since Sing (2016).
- The second Illumination film to be released in June after Despicable Me 3.
- This is the fifth Illumination film to use mild language ("turd" and "pissed" are both used once and God's name is taken in vain twice) after Hop (which used God's name in vain twice), The Lorax (which used "damn" once during the climax), the original The Secret Life of Pets (which used "hell" during a background song), and Despicable Me 3 (which used "boobs" once).
- Thus, it also marks the first time a more vulgar word has been used in an Illumination film, regarding its PG rating from the MPAA and the fact that the word "piss" is extremely rare for animated family film (though it has been used sometimes in some PG-rated family films, such as The Goonies, The Mighty Ducks, Free Willy, and Tomorrowland).
- Some trailers and TV spots contained some scenes that were not in the final film, such as the scene where Leonard (a minor character from the first film) throws a party again, the scene where Buddy messages himself with a mixer again while Mel tries to get to the bottom of the blender (which Buddy tells him to get out of), and the scene where Duke sticks his nose to a goat's butt, causing it to kick Duke. The former scene was cut for time constrictions while the latter two scenes were cut for kitchen abuse and sexual harassment (although the goat encounter scene can be found as a deleted scene found in the bonus features).
- This is the first Illumination sequel in which the main character is not voiced by the same voice actor as the original film; Patton Oswalt takes over Louis C.K.'s role as the voice of Max in this sequel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Film Releases. Variety Insight. Variety Media, LLC.. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Secret Life of Pets 2. Box Office Mojo. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ Brian Lynch. Twitter (May 28, 2019). “Fun Fact: The Hamster at the pet therapist who is frustrated that running in his wheel doesn't actually GET HIM ANYWHERE is...voiced by SING/SON OF RAMBOW/HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE director Garth Jennings.”
- ↑ Meredith Salenger. Twitter (April 11, 2019). Retrieved on July 12, 2019. “The little ol' lady was a first for me!”
- ↑ Verniere, James. "'Secret Life of Pets 2' is near purr-fect", Boston Herald, Kevin Corrado, June 6, 2019. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ McNary, Dave. "'Secret Life of Pets 2' in the Works, Set for 2018 Release", Variety, Michelle Sobrino-Stearns, August 2, 2016. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ Minions 2 and Sing 2 Announced, Pets 2 Pushed Back a Year. ComingSoon.net (January 25, 2017). Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ Inman, Matt. The Secret Life of Matt. The Oatmeal. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ Busch, Anita (November 10, 2017). Universal Pictures, Illumination Part Ways With Louis C.K. On 'Secret Life Of Pets 2'. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ Fleming Jr., Mike (April 25, 2018). Harrison Ford Takes First Animated Role, In Illumination's 'The Secret Life Of Pets 2'. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on July 12, 2019.
- ↑ https://variety.com/2016/film/news/secret-life-of-pets-2-2018-release-1201828729/
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2017/01/minions-2-sing-2-secret-life-of-pets-2-release-dates-1201894439/